• Swallow Barton is let out all through the year.
• Bookings normally run from Saturday to Saturday but outside the main season we sometimes accept midweek bookings and short breaks.
• Last-minute bookings may also be available at a discount, especially outside of the summer months.
• So if the weather forecast sounds good for the next few days, have a look at our website – you might just pick up a bargain break!
• We are open all through the winter months. Why not spend Christmas away from it all?!
• In previous years guests have enjoyed staying with us over Christmas and also during the New Year break.
• We’ll even put up the Christmas tree and decorations for you, but you will have to let us know well in advance if you would like us to order a local farm turkey!
• Swallow Barton is situated in the tiny village of Yarnscombe in North Devon. It is about 6 miles (15 minutes) drive east from Great Torrington and roughly 8 miles (20 minutes) drive south from Barnstaple – the largest town in North Devon. Bideford is about 9 miles (20 minutes) drive away. Our postcode is EX31 3LP.
Click here to see us on Google Street View
• Driving time from Birmingham is roughly 3 hours, from West London 4 hours and from Manchester 4.5 hours.
• The AA or the RAC will provide free downloadable maps and detailed route descriptions. Click here for AA route map or RAC route map.
• Yarnscombe is reached by two or three miles of narrow country lanes which are wide enough for one vehicle only but have passing places. When approaching the village you may well meet a farm tractor or a group of horse riders, or you might encounter a stray sheep or some of the Devon wildlife!
• The holiday Cottage, Swallow Barton is at the southern end of the village.
• The most straightforward route by road is from Junction 27 of the M5 near Tiverton. We are less than an hour’s drive from there.
• You can download a PDF file of the map and directions from the M5 here.
(If when you click on the above link nothing happens, or you receive a message to say that the file format is not recognised by your computer this means that Adobe® Reader® is NOT installed on your computer.
To read the file and to print it from your computer you need to have Adobe® Reader® installed on your PC. This program is available free of charge. If you wish to install it on your computer, click on the symbol below and you will be taken to the Adobe website where you can download and install Adobe® Reader®.)
• We do not recommend a holiday at Swallow Barton without a car, motorcycle or bicycle because we have no public transport within less than about three miles!
• Our nearest rail station is Chapelton (
Tarka Line from Exeter).
• The nearest airports are :
Exeter International Airport (EXT) (50 miles - 80km : 1¼ hours drive)
Bristol International Airport (BRS) (100 miles - 160km : 2 hours drive)
London Heathrow (LHR) is 215 miles - 345 km : 4 hours drive
London Gatwick (LGW) is 230 miles - 370 km : 4¼ hours drive.
• Taxis and car hire are available at all airports.
• Two taxi firms in Torrington are: R & D Travel - telephone +44 (0) 1805 622707 and
Zenith Hire - telephone +44 (0) 1805 623747.
• Easily accessible by road - less than 1 hour from the M5 Junction 27.
• In the heart of rural North Devon but less than 20 minutes drive from Barnstaple.
• Hundreds of interesting places to visit and indoor and outdoor activities within easy driving distance.
• North Devon's finest beaches and sheltered coves are easily accessible.
• Sleeps up to 4 people. A cot and highchair are also available.
• Open all year round - ideal for your summer holiday or just a short break.
• Last-minute booking discounts available.
• Short breaks available outside the main season.
• Plenty of maps and guides available in the cottage.